You have been appointed as executor of an estate. Now what?
As executor of an estate, you have a number of duties and tasks to fulfill. An early step should be to contact us for guidance and assistance as required.
Here are some of the things we can help you with:
- Reviewing and discussing the will with you or ascertaining who the beneficiaries are where the person has died without a will;
- Advising you as to what your duties are, what tasks you need to complete and how and when to complete them;
- Determining if an application for appointment of estate trustee (commonly known as “probate”) is required; and if so, preparing the application and filing it with the court;
- Where the deceased owned real estate in Ontario, transferring ownership to the surviving co-owners or beneficiaries as the case may be;
- Advising and assisting you throughout the process; and
- Helping you to protect yourself from claims against you regarding your handling of the estate
Legal costs are chargeable to the estate and are based on an hourly rate. The legal costs depend on the amount of time spent, which varies depending on the matter and the degree of assistance you. We would be pleased to discuss this with you further.
Give us a call to schedule a meeting.